Barnet Council knows from consultation that community members feel that Finchley Central lacks an obvious ‘centre’ that can support local civic life. The Town Centre Strategy, adopted in 2017, identified an opportunity for Finchley Square within the public realm outside Tesco. This could span both sides of the road, where the existing public realm is wider and could host a range of activities. The council has now started delivery of this project.
This project aims to:
- Create an inclusive space, where visitors of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to dwell in Finchley Central;
- Create a Healthier High Street, one that encourages active modes of transport, with a focus on improving the public realm environment for pedestrians and cyclists;
- Increase high street greening to help take measures to improve the air quality within the Town Centre;
- Support the community to activate the Square and wider town centre by developing a community-led events programme and a regular market offer.
The council has now appointed a multi-disciplinary design and engagement team lead by award-winning Kinnear Landscape Architects to work with the community to develop the programme and design for Finchley Square.
Throughout 2020 we will host several workshops, online activities, meetings and other events to help co-develop and test the proposed designs. We intend to deliver and open the square in early 2022.
The involvement, knowledge and insight of the local community is vital to making a positive impact in Finchley Central Town Centre. Barnet Council wants the community to develop a sense of influence over the town centre through this project. We have started a working group so people can get involved.
The working group will:
- Provide a voice for the wider community and help disseminate information.
- Welcome new members along the journey, as the project develops.
- Be proactive – with the aim of doing!
- Help to develop the market and a programme of events for the new square, now and in the future.
- Help to trial ideas to inform the project’s design and continue to programme activities to activate the square once finished.
- Long term, we want to work with you and support the group to become formalised as a Town Team.
It’s never too late to join the group, so if you want to get involved or find out more, send an email to email@example.com.
By emailing you give your permission to be added to our mailing list and will keep you up to date on ways to get involved. More information on how we process your personal data can be found on the council website www.barnet.gov.uk/privacy.